Get help now

If you are a first time client of WAFER watch this video or follow the instructions below:

Please bring..

  • A photo ID.
  • The names and birth dates of everyone in the household.
  • A piece of mail or document with the name and current address for all household members age 18 and older (utility bill, paycheck stub, social services letter, etc) for address verification.  For children under 18 address verification could be a document from their healthcare provider, school, crib card for newborns, or current insurance cards.  A current piece of mail will be required every 12 months or as requested by staff.

Bring your picture ID with you for every WAFER visit.

ACCESS Application

  • If you would like to apply for Foodshare benefits we can help you or apply here.
  • If you have already applied for assistance, but just have a change in address, need to update your account, or fax in some paperwork we can help with that too.  Please bring your account login information with you.

Frequently Asked Questions

When can I come in for food?

The food pantry is open for food distribution Monday through Friday 10am-12:45pm and Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays 4:00pm-7:45pm.  The lobby is open to clients 10 minutes prior to the start of service.  Please plan your arrival time accordingly. 

Holiday closures and the schedule for Mobile Food Pantry stops can be found under the “Calendar” tab.

What food will I get?

Everyone gets a balanced assortment of food such as canned goods, fresh bread, meat, dairy products, and a large assortment of fresh produce. In addition, milk coupons are usually available when we do not have milk on hand.

How do I know if I am eligible?

If you are a resident of La Crosse County or La Crescent, MN and meet income guidelines (English and Spanish) (Hmong) or you need food assistance, you are probably eligible to receive food. WAFER is an equal opportunity provider.

When you come in to get food we will go over all the information needed to create your account.  Click here for the English version, here for the Hmong version, and here for other language options from DHS.  If you would like to print the form, fill out at home, and bring to your first visit that is an option, but not required.

How often can I receive a food package?

Based on The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP – Government Commodities) guidelines you may come to WAFER or receive a food package once each month.   However, you may not come to WAFER and the Salvation Army, From the Heart Food Pantry, or River of Life Food Pantry; you must choose only one.

Additional visits will be determined on a case by case review.

Do I have to pay for the food?

 No.  This is a free service for income and address eligible people or those in need of food assistance.

Can I get food and volunteer?

Of course!

Can I send someone else to get my food?

Yes, someone else can get your food for you if you already have an active account at WAFER. To do so, fill out WAFER’s permission form (it can be mailed to you) and return it to our office . The form is good for one year unless there is a change in the person who you give permission to pick up your food.

What if I don’t have a place to live?

You can get food from WAFER without having a place to live. Simply bring some form of identification.